[CentOS] repositories

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Fri Feb 27 12:46:38 UTC 2015

On 27/02/15 12:30, Pol Hallen wrote:
> Hi all :-)
> This is my first post: I'm coming from debian/bsd world.
>
> A question about repositories:
>
> minimal installation (version 7) provides:
>
> CentOS-Base.repo
> CentOS-CR.repo
> CentOS-Debuginfo.repo
> CentOS-fasttrack.repo
> CentOS-Sources.repo
> CentOS-Vault.repo
>
> I known there are others repositories as:
>
> RPMForge, EPEL, REMI, ATrpms, Webtatic (and maybe also others)
>
> so, what kind of these repositories are?
>
> Does they repositories substitute packages from main? Or only adding new
> packages?
>
> thanks for advices and help!
>
> Pol

Hi Pol,

Welcome to CentOS and the mailing lsit.

Start here for more information on 3rd party repositories:

http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories

Some may replace distro packages whereas others may have a policy not to
replace distro packages (so only contain packages not in the distro).
Some repositories split into channels where the main repo doesn't
contain distro packages but may have an "extras" channel that contains
any packages that replace distro packages.

Ultimately CentOS has little influence over what 3rd party repos do so
the ecision / policies are down to each individual repo.

The yum priorities plugin can be used to prevent 3rd party repositories
from replacing distro packages:

http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities

Hope that at least gets you started.