[CentOS] Package group "X Window System" has disappeared

Greg Bailey gbailey at lxpro.com
Fri Feb 27 13:27:54 UTC 2015

On 02/27/2015 02:54 AM, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Until last week, I could install a CentOS 7 based desktop using the
> following approach:
>
> 1. Install minimal system.
>
> 2. yum groupinstall "X Window System"
>
> 3. yum install gdm gnome-classic-session gnome-terminal liberation-fonts
>
> 4. Install applications as needed.
>
> This morning, the package group "X Window System" seems to have
> disappeared. This is embarrassing.
>
> What happened?
>
> Niki

Works for me, although I have to do "yum group list hidden" to see the
"X Window System" group (both as available for installation, and as
installed once I've done the group install invocation).  "yum group list
hidden" and "yum group list hidden ids" are 2 variations I only learned
about recently...

Nice recipe, BTW, for a simple GUI install.  The spacing of the font
doesn't look very good in Gnome terminal though; I must be missing
whatever the default font is configured to be.

-Greg