[CentOS] yum causing RPC timed out?

Dave Burns

tburns at hawaii.edu
Fri Feb 27 21:06:11 UTC 2015

I just installed centos 7, yum is acting strange, experiencing RPC
time-outs. Sometimes when I disable the additional repos (epel and
rpmforge) it seems to make things act normal. But not this time (see below).

Could I have some misconfiguration? Network glitch? What hypotheses should
I be considering?
Thanks,
Dave

[root at localhost ~]# yum   repolist
repo id                                          repo name
                                                     status
base/7/x86_64                                    CentOS-7 - Base
                                                     8,465
epel/x86_64                                      Extra Packages for
Enterprise Linux 7 - x86_64                                 7,312
extras/7/x86_64                                  CentOS-7 - Extras
                                                       104
rpmforge                                         RHEL 7 - RPMforge.net -
dag                                                      245
updates/7/x86_64                                 CentOS-7 - Updates
                                                    1,721
repolist: 17,847
[root at localhost ~]# yum   --disablerepo=epel  --disablerepo=rpmforge provides
'*/applydeltarpm'
do_ypcall: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out
do_ypcall: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out
http://centos.corenetworks.net/7.0.1406/os/x86_64/repodata/3cda64d1c161dd0fead8398a62ef9c691e78ee02fe56d04566f850c94929f61f-filelists.sqlite.bz2:
[Errno 12] Timeout on
http://centos.corenetworks.net/7.0.1406/os/x86_64/repodata/3cda64d1c161dd0fead8398a62ef9c691e78ee02fe56d04566f850c94929f61f-filelists.sqlite.bz2:
(28, 'Resolving timed out after 30385 milliseconds')
Trying other mirror.
do_ypcall: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out
[etc. etc.]