[CentOS] Looking for a life-save LVM Guru

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 04:00:04 UTC 2015

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 19:24:57 -0800
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 2/27/2015 4:52 PM, Khemara Lyn wrote:
> >
> > What is the right way to recover the remaining PVs left?
>
> take a filing cabinet packed full of 10s of 1000s of files of 100s of
> pages each,   with the index cards interleaved in the files, and
> remove 1/4th of the pages in the folders, including some of the
> indexes... and toss everything else on the floor...    this is what
> you have.   3 out of 4 pages, semi-randomly with no idea whats what.

And this is why I don't like LVM to begin with. If one of the drives
dies, you're screwed not only for the data on that drive, but even for
data on remaining healthy drives.

I never really saw the point of LVM. Storing data on plain physical
partitions, having an intelligent directory structure and a few wise
well-placed symlinks across the drives can go a long way in having
flexible storage, which is way more robust than LVM. With today's huge
drive capacities, I really see no reason to adjust the sizes of
partitions on-the-fly, and putting several TB of data in a single
directory is just Bad Design to begin with.

That said, if you have a multi-TB amount of critical data while not
having at least a simple RAID-1 backup, you are already standing in a
big pile of sh*t just waiting to become obvious, regardless of LVM and
stuff. Hardware fails, and storing data without a backup is just simply
a disaster waiting to happen.

Best, :-)
Marko