[CentOS] Kickstart with multiple eth devices

Mon Feb 23 23:34:26 UTC 2015
Ashley M. Kirchner <ashley at pcraft.com>

I have a Dell server that has two built-in ethernet devices. When I
kickstart the machine, they are correctly identified as eth0 and eth1
(correctly meaning they correspond to the physical device ports 1 and 2). I
need a third one and want that to come up as eth2. After adding the
hardware, kickstart now fails because for some reason it goes through a
rename process where it makes the newly added card eth1 (or eth0, I
forgot). Is there a way to stop this rename process so kickstart correctly
uses the physical hardware the way they are, meaning physical port 1 =
eth0, port 2 = eth1, and the additional ethernet card then becomes eth2?

Should I be using the device's MAC address when I set the 'network' option
in the kickstart file? So instead of 'network --device=eth0' I make it
'network -device=aa;bb:cc:dd:eee:ff' ?