[CentOS] Another Fedora decision

Thu Feb 5 21:33:13 UTC 2015
Always Learning <centos at u64.u22.net>

On Thu, 2015-02-05 at 13:59 -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On 02/05/2015 10:34 AM, Always Learning wrote:
> > Surely its time for the Feds to arrest and change them ?

> The Feds in which country?

The USA for a start. The USA's law enforcement is never slow at working
with foreign countries law enforcement to secure the arrest of offenders
upsetting the USA - sometimes having them extradited to the US of A for
trial.

More effort must be made tracing the hackers. Hacking is routinely
accepted too often. If a burglar attempts to break into a bank, does law
enforcement forget about it ?

> > Gee thanks. I'll use it for root on every server ;-)
>
> Do note that now that it has been posted to a public list, while it was
> safe while unpublished, it would not be safe in the future.

Have absolutely no intention of using it or anything resembling it. The
security risk is too great !

> ..... is one reason we now whitelist only needed outbound connections
>  on port 22 and block all others on our two internet connections.

Port 22 is always blocked, port 21 too, on all machines. Too risky.
Having port 22 open will give me sleepless nights.

> Your password is just about guaranteed to be on future lists.....

Then let them waste their time and energy attempting to crack a
non-existent password.

> You just never want to use it on more than one server to be safe.....

Agreed. Never ever repeat the same passwords on different machines.

--
Regards,

Paul.
England, EU.      Je suis Charlie.