[CentOS] Another Fedora decision

Mon Feb 9 19:26:00 UTC 2015

On Mon, February 9, 2015 1:13 pm, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 09, 2015 at 07:06:11PM +0000, Always Learning wrote:
>> The third item was a 16.1 MB PDF of 1,344 pages. A quick scan of the PDF
>> shows every page appears to be readable.  11 pages devoted to BASH.
>> Information on other interesting topics too.
>>
>> Although I have a natural preference for paper books (I became a
>> computer person at a large international book publisher) and I like the
>> ability to annotate text, the PDF is definitely a useful and informative
>> read.
>
> It looks like that's a pirated book, so it's probably not terribly
> ethical (nor safe) to use that PDF.
>
> --
> Jonathan Billings <billings at negate.org>

Thanks Jonathan. John R Pierce also mentioned that it is hosted in Russia.
I for one would definitely avoid this source. If I were to set myself a
goal to get fundamental book I would wait a bit, as some clever people may
recommend something else on this list, then choose what looks most
fundamental to you. I would ask John Pierce and Jonathan Billings: what
would you, gentlemen, recommend for the one who decided to become really
very Unix (or Linux) person - understanding in-depth how the system works?
Other experts (I know there are many on this list)?

Thanks.
Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator