[CentOS] Another Fedora decision

Mon Feb 9 21:54:36 UTC 2015

On Mon, February 9, 2015 3:28 pm, Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2015-02-09, Always Learning <centos at u64.u22.net> wrote:

>>> PDF
>>>
>>> on a site hosted in Russia which appears to be FULL of copyright
>>> violations.
>>
>> Probably not really a software pirate but an individual (and a keen
>> cyclist) storing some old-ish PDFs on his own web site.
>
> The PDF *itself* is still pirated.  It has nothing whatsoever to do with
> "software" piracy.
>
>> So there is little to fear from the web site of a Russian cyclist who
>> likes Linux.
>
> I don't even fully trust docs written by any third party until I can
> cross-check it against official documentation.  So I definitely do not
> think it's okay to trust pirated documentation from a Russian site I
> will never be able to know anything about.

Which should not reflect on the book I recommended:

 http://www.amazon.com/Linux-System-Administration-Handbook-Edition/dp/0131480057

(Neither should the fact that the one who recommended it - myself - has
Russian origin too. I for one hate the fact that copyright - and decency -
are so much violated on the territory of Russia).

Still, as I stressed in my original suggestion: to get proficient in
anything one has to learn fundamentals, so I would forget about blogs, web
posts, and would begin with a really good book. Unless you are already an
expert in a sense you know fundamentals (but this question is the one that
one can only answer by himself).

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator