[CentOS] Another Fedora decision

Tue Feb 10 02:30:40 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 09, 2015 at 10:10:35PM +0000, Always Learning wrote:
> Keith neither of us know whether or not the Russian man obtained his PDF
> copy of the book lawfully.  In my book-publishing opinion, the PDF
> appears to have originated from the book's publisher, so the original
> source must have been *the* official source. Hence the book, in the PDF
> version, must have been written by the official authors.

Unless the guy who is posting the pirated PDF downloaded it from a
shady site that inserts PDF viruses and whatnot.  The point is, it's
neither ethical nor safe to use this pirated copy.

One of the authors, Evi Nemeth, was a really great and interesting
person who I've heard speak at conferences.  She also co-wrote the
Linux Administration Handbook, which I read both editions years ago,
so I can vouch for their quality.  However, as computer books are most
likely to do, they are quickly made out of date by the rapid pace of
linux development (even Enterprise linuxes like CentOS).

I learned my trade mostly through doing, watching other people do
things, reading lists, and attending conferences, Linux Users Groups
and other meetings of Linux admins.  I love books, and continue to buy
reference books for languages and favorite software tools, but I don't
have any recent Linux books.