[CentOS] Another Fedora decision

Wed Feb 11 02:23:58 UTC 2015
Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 6:29 PM, Always Learning <centos at u64.u22.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2015-02-10 at 17:14 -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
>
>> On 2/10/2015 4:58 PM, Always Learning wrote:
>> > You have absolutely no prima facie evidence to support your assertion.
>>
>> Seriously?   from page 5 of said PDF.
>>
>>     Copyright © 2011 Pearson Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
>>     Printed in the United States of America. This publication is
>>     protected by copyright, and permission must be obtained from the
>>     publisher prior to any prohibited reproduction, storage in a
>>     retrieval system, or transmission in any form or by any means,
>>     electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or likewise....
>
> Oh dear.
>
> Legal point 1: you do not know the source of the Russian's PDF.

Well seeing as it's over 1200 pages and only ~16MB, it cannot possibly
be scanned. It's too small a file. If I had to guess, it probably
escaped somewhere between whoever did the layout and created the
original PDF, and a foreign publisher (I'm assuming this book has been
translated into other languages).

> Legal point 2: you can not determine with certainty that the said PDF is
> *not* a lawful copy.

It's most definitely not a lawful copy. I'm completely certain of this.

> Legal point 3: you can not establish the Russian's possession of the PDF
> is *not* lawful.

Russia is a UCC signatory, it's certain it's not a lawful copy under
either international or Russian law.

> Legal point 4: Page iv (meaning preface page 4 but physical page 5)
> contains
>
> "Copyright © 2011 Pearson Education, Inc.
> All rights reserved. Printed in the United States of America. This
> publication is protected by copyright, and permission must be obtained
> from the publisher prior to any prohibited reproduction, storage in a
> retrieval system, or transmission in any form or by any means,
> electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or likewise. For
> information regarding permissions, write to:
> Pearson Education, Inc.
> Rights and Contracts Department
> 501 Boylston Street, Suite 900
> Boston, MA 02116
> Fax: (617) 671-3447
> ISBN-13: 978-0-13-148005-6
> ISBN-10: 0-13-148005-7
> Text printed in the United States on recycled paper at Edwards Brothers
> in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
> First printing, June 2010"
>
> Legal point 5: You are seriously mistaken in asserting the said PDF did
> *not* originate from the publisher.

It doesn't matter if the publisher lost containment and the PDF
escaped into the wild. It's still copyright infringement to cause
copyrighted material to be replicated without permission.

> Legal point 6: You have no case to argue.

OK well if you're going to take the time to make bullshit legal points
like this, then I get to say "you sir, may kindly kiss my ass."

> Legal point 7: You are unproductively using your own, and other's, time,
> interest and energy.

So are you, and this is your informal invitation to stop.

--
Chris Murphy