[CentOS] Thread moderation and list etiquette (Reference - Another Fedora Decision)

Fri Feb 13 18:19:08 UTC 2015
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 12:09 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

>> I think it is generally a good thing when the bulk of the conversation
>> here is ranting about mostly irrelevant opinions.   That is, instead
>
> yes, lots of irrelevant conversation on the list - and it comes from a
> handful of users. Its irrelevant, take it to an irrelevant venue.
>
>> of 'Why doesn't this work"', or 'How do I fix this problem" that you
>> would have if there were something fundamentally wrong with the disto.
>
> By assuming that the mailing list is a bug reporting venue, you miss the
> entire point of what a community might be.

Agreed, but second-guessing other people's opinions and moderating
what they can say is pretty shaky ground too...   I'm just saying
that's what happens when there aren't bugs to report and generic 'how
to' questions tend to be met with a 'go google it yourself' response.

It would sort of nice if there were a way to sort pure-technical stuff
from 'slightly-related' and 'way-off-topic' postings so actual
conversations could run their course without mangling the list's
purpose.   But I don't have any idea how to manage that...

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com