[CentOS] C5 BASH IF

Sat Feb 14 16:53:26 UTC 2015
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 11:54 PM, Always Learning <centos at u64.u22.net> wrote:

>> And third, you generally should use
>> double quotes around variables in tests so they continue to exist as
>> an empty string if the variable happens to not be set.
>
> Thanks for that.  I assumed if test 1 worked, so would test 2.
>
> Have re-run test 2 with
>

>> 16 if  [ $file = "law00css" ]

You still missed the part about quoting variables.  You quote plain
strings to hold embedded spaces together (or single-quotes to avoid
parsing metacharacters).  You use double quotes around  $variables so
they don't disappear completely if the variable isn't set, causing a
syntax error.  To understand it completely you need to know the order
of operations as the shell makes multiple passes over the line,
parsing, processing metacharacters, and expanding variables.   And I
don't know where to find a concise description of that any more.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com