[CentOS] Centos 7.0 and mismatched swap file

Mon Feb 16 07:07:23 UTC 2015
Michael Schumacher <michael.schumacher at pamas.de>

Morning Gregory,

> I am putting together a new mail server for [...]
> I am using the default xfs file system on the other partitions.  Is
> there a way to expand the swap file?  If not, then is this problem
> sufficiently bad enough for me to start over with a new install.  I do
> not want to start over unless I need to.

I think that on todays system, swap is just "the last resort" before
a system crashes. If you ever run into the situation that you need the
swap system, you will have to throw more memory into the machine. I
wouldn't care.

Btw., are you sure you want to use XFS for a mail server? I made some
tests about a year ago and found that EXT4 is by the factor 10 faster
compared to XFS. The tests I performed were using the "maildir" style
postfix installation that results in many thousands files in the user
directories. The only problem was that Centos was not able to format
huge ext4 partitions out of the box. This was valid for C6, don't know
about C7.

 best regards
---
Michael Schumacher