[CentOS] Replacement for NIS/NFS?

Mon Feb 23 17:17:13 UTC 2015
Mauricio Tavares <raubvogel at gmail.com>

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 11:22 AM, Niki Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Over the last few years, I've been using a rather bone-headed solution to
> implement centralized authentication and roamin user profiles in Linux-based
> networks: a combination of NIS and NFS.
>
> I'm aware it's not ideal in terms of security, but it's been running in our
> local school since 2010, and it just works. The current setup is based on
> Slackware Linux on both server and desktop clients.
>
> Here's the relevant documentation (which I wrote):
>
> http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:network_services:roaming_profiles
>
> BTW, the first two years this solution worked perfectly with CentOS 5.x on
> the server and on the desktop clients.
>
> I'm currently migrating from Slackware to CentOS, and I'm looking for a
> "business-grade" replacement of this more or less obsolete configuration.
>
> I've read about various existing solutions, and I'm not quite sure in which
> direction to go from here: FreeIPA? 389 Directory Server? LDAP+LAM-Manager?
>
> Here's what I want:
>
> 1. Users should be manageable through a GUI, probably a web interface, so
> the client can create, manage and delete them eventually.
>
> 2. Home directories should be created/deleted automagically under the hood.
>
> 3. Every user should be able to login on any machines and find his or her
> files and preferences.
>
> What can you suggest? Is there some robust and well-documented solution that
> works more or less out of the box and doesn't make me jump through burning
> loops?
>
> I'm mainly using CentOS 7, but I'll also have to use CentOS 6.x since in our
> school we have some older hardware that won't run 7.x.

      IMHO, ldap(+kerberos) and nfsv4 with autofs should do the trick.
You can tell NFSv4 to use kerberos not only to authenticate but also
protect/encrypt the connection. Then, user logs in and homedir is
automagically mounted.

For ldap+kerberos in centos, freeipa might do what you want. It has a
web-based gui and works rather well in centos. FYI freeip uses 389
directory server instead of openldap.

> Cheers from the sunny South of France,

      I haven't been in that corner of the world in ages. :(