[CentOS] pidgin on 6.6

Mon Feb 23 17:30:23 UTC 2015
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 11:42 AM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Anyone out there using pidgin and jabber? Recently, there was a redo of
> the organization's jabber server, (probably a Windows thing), and
> suddenly, instead of my usernamte at address, I get username at address/<looks
> like a socket id>. For example, mine, after my
> username at jabberserver/f862437769a069c68119dc3068e2acbd5f0eaba6, so a line
> and a half of garbage.

That's a Resource ID most likely.
If you do not want an auto-generated resource ID, you can set one in your
account preferences.

I prefer a static resource ID myself so I can set one as work, another for
laptop, home or whatever.  Not meant to be a replacement for a status
message, but certainly helpful to know which resource/session is related to
what device.

Accounts > Manage Accounts > some_account > Basic tab > Resource field

As to why your resource ID is so long, I don't know.  I'm used to seeing
them be say maybe 10 characters or so.

What XMPP/Jabber server are you using?

> Any ideas? Googling isn't finding me anything... oh, and the tech on the
> other end, who's using Windows, isn't seeing that, he just sees

That's probably just the way the client shows it.
Is the Windows user also using Pidgin as their XMPP client?  Any version
difference and so forth?