[CentOS] Replacement for NIS/NFS?

Tue Feb 24 00:40:35 UTC 2015
Jitse Klomp <jitseklomp at gmail.com>

On 02/24/2015 01:15 AM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 02/23/2015 08:22 AM, Niki Kovacs wrote:
>> 1. Users should be manageable through a GUI, probably a web interface,
>> so the client can create, manage and delete them eventually.
>
> FreeIPA is a good option, generally.  As best I understand it, it's
> currently available in a Docker container for CentOS.
> http://seven.centos.org/2014/12/freeipa-4-1-2-and-centos/
>
> I haven't heard about more standard packaging, but that might come along
> later...
ipa-server is available from the base repos in both EL6 (v3.0) and EL7
(v3.3). RHEL7.1 beta ships with version 4.1. EL6 clients are fully
compatible with EL7 servers and vice versa.

>> 2. Home directories should be created/deleted automagically under the
>> hood.
> You can use pam_mkhomedir to create them, but archiving or deleting home
> directories would be a manual process.
You should use pam_oddjob_mkhomedir for that, it requires fewer
privileges and integrates nicely with SELinux.

>> 3. Every user should be able to login on any machines and find his or
>> her files and preferences.
> You can continue using NFS for that.
FreeIPA also supports automount/autofs.

You should check out the FreeIPA demo (v4.1):
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Demo

  - Jitse