[CentOS] Kickstart with multiple eth devices

Wed Feb 25 01:47:47 UTC 2015
Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca>

On 23/02/15 08:16 PM, Steven Tardy wrote:

>> On Feb 23, 2015, at 6:34 PM, Ashley M. Kirchner
>> <ashley at pcraft.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have a Dell server that has two built-in ethernet devices. When
>> I kickstart the machine, they are correctly identified as eth0
>> and eth1 (correctly meaning they correspond to the physical
>> device ports 1 and 2). I need a third one and want that to come
>> up as eth2. After adding the hardware, kickstart now fails
>> because for some reason it goes through a rename process where it
>> makes the newly added card eth1 (or eth0, I forgot). Is there a
>> way to stop this rename process so kickstart correctly uses the
>> physical hardware the way they are, meaning physical port 1 =
>> eth0, port 2 = eth1, and the additional ethernet card then
>> becomes eth2?
>>
>> Should I be using the device's MAC address when I set the
>> 'network' option in the kickstart file? So instead of 'network
>> --device=eth0' I make it 'network -device=aa;bb:cc:dd:eee:ff' ?
>>

> kickstart has an option: ksdevice=bootif
>
> I think that'll let you accomplish what you are trying.

Totally unrelated, but this is the reason I love discussions like this
getting into the archives. I had no idea this option existed and it
just solved an annoying problems I've been trying to think how to
solve for ages!

In PXE's 'default';

LABEL new-node1
        MENU LABEL ^1) New Node 1 - RHEL 6
        KERNEL boot/rhel6/x86_64/vmlinuz
        IPAPPEND 2
        APPEND initrd=boot/rhel6/x86_64/initrd.img
ks=http://10.20.4.1/rhel6/x86_64/ks/pxe-ccrs-node2.ks ksdevice=bootif

Then in kickstart;

network --bootproto dhcp --onboot yes --hostname node1.example.com

(not the lack of --device)

With this, my nodes with 6 NICs reliably boot without asking the user
to choose the NIC by MAC they want to install from.

Thanks!!

- --
Digimer
access to education?