[CentOS] Package group "X Window System" has disappeared

Fri Feb 27 15:01:42 UTC 2015

Greg Bailey wrote:
> On 02/27/2015 02:54 AM, Niki Kovacs wrote:

>> Until last week, I could install a CentOS 7 based desktop using the
>> following approach:
>>
>> 1. Install minimal system.
>> 2. yum groupinstall "X Window System"
>> 3. yum install gdm gnome-classic-session gnome-terminal liberation-fonts
>> 4. Install applications as needed.
>>
>> This morning, the package group "X Window System" seems to have
>> disappeared. This is embarrassing.
<snip>
> Works for me, although I have to do "yum group list hidden" to see the

That's *weird* . Why would you even want "hidden" groups?

I was looking on a 7 box, and did see an "environment" group of "Server
with GUI"; I also see, under available groups, Desktop, and Desktop
Platform. I have no idea what the difference is.... I wish they'd have
"user install groups" and "expert install groups", so that when the CentOS
desktop clobbers Ubuntu, and Mint, and all the rest, those of us who know
what we're doing, and/or working on servers, can install more easily....

       mark