[CentOS] Looking for a life-save LVM Guru

Sat Feb 28 00:25:47 UTC 2015
Khemara Lyn <lin.kh at wicam.com.kh>

Dear All,

I am in desperate need for LVM data rescue for my server.
I have an VG call vg_hosting consisting of 4 PVs each contained in a
separate hard drive (/dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1, /dev/sdc1, and /dev/sdd1).
And this LV: lv_home was created to use all the space of the 4 PVs.

Right now, the third hard drive is damaged; and therefore the third PV
(/dev/sdc1) cannot be accessed anymore. I would like to recover whatever
left in the other 3 PVs (/dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1, and /dev/sdd1).

I have tried with the following:

1. Removing the broken PV:

# vgreduce --force vg_hosting /dev/sdc1
  Physical volume "/dev/sdc1" still in use

# pvmove /dev/sdc1
  No extents available for allocation

2. Replacing the broken PV:

I was able to create a new PV and restore the VG Config/meta data:

# pvcreate --restorefile ... --uuid ... /dev/sdc1
# vgcfgrestore --file ... vg_hosting

However, vgchange would give this error:

# vgchange -a y
	  device-mapper: resume ioctl on  failed: Invalid argument
	  Unable to resume vg_hosting-lv_home (253:4)
	  0 logical volume(s) in volume group "vg_hosting" now active

Could someone help me please???
I'm in dire need for help to save the data, at least some of it if possible.

Regards,
Khem