[CentOS] Looking for a life-save LVM Guru

Sat Feb 28 05:05:40 UTC 2015
Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 9:44 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 2/27/2015 8:00 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>>
>> And this is why I don't like LVM to begin with. If one of the drives
>> dies, you're screwed not only for the data on that drive, but even for
>> data on remaining healthy drives.
>

> with classic LVM, you were supposed to use raid for your PV's.   The new LVM
> in 6.3+ has integrated raid at an LV level, you just have to declare all
> your LVs with appropriate raid levels.

I think since inception of LVM2, type mirror has been available which
is now legacy (but still available). The current type since CentOS 6.3
is raid1. But yes for anything raid4+ you previously had to create it
with mdadm or use hardware RAID (which of course you can still do,
most people still prefer managing software raid with mdadm than lvm's
tools).

--
Chris Murphy