[CentOS] Design changes are done in Fedora

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Jan 8 17:27:04 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 08, 2015 at 11:11:10AM -0600, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> Just on a side note: I question intelligence of an attitude that something
> (that works for some people) has to be destroyed to make room for
> something else one thinks to be more appropriate.

Let me start by saying I'm also not a fan of Gnome3, and prefer MATE.
However, I believe the new interface provided by Gnome3 is both well
thought out and based on the results of research on Human-Computer
interactions.  Gnome has published their GNOME Human Interface
Guidelines here:

https://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/3.2/

https://developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/

The idea is to have a uniform and consistent interface that is
intuitive to all potential users.  You'll probably agree with me that
UNIX/Linux interfaces tend to be extremely inconsistent between
programs, and even between elements of a display interface.  Most of
us who have been using UNIX for decades are familiar with many of the
quirks and have long since adapted.  I don't fault Gnome for trying to
actually provide some guidelines for design.  Apple has been praised
for many years over its easy-to-use interface, largely because they
have very strict control over their interfaces and a walled garden
approach to apps.  It would be very difficult to duplicate the ease of
use from Apple while maintaining the free/open spirit in FOSS, so
Gnome has a difficult path to tread.