[CentOS] C-6, Gnome question

Bill Maltby (C4B) centos4bill at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 22:12:48 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-01-09 at 19:42 -0500, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 07:07:38PM -0500, Bill Maltby (C4B) wrote:
> <snip>

> > Well, that's the limit of my offerings. I'm still trying to find the
> > thing I used back in C5(?) that raised the panels when the mouse hovered
> > over it for X seconds. With C6 I can't find it anymore and it switches
> > way too fast.
>
> in C6  it's in SYSTEM | PREFERENCES | WINDOWS
> there's a slider titled "interval before raising".
LoL! I just found it while trying to find out where another distasteful
C6.6 update effect was started.

> > <snip>

In a nutshell, after I would terminate Firefox as part of my normal log
off process, there would be another instance of Firefox left hanging
around with a ppid of 1 (so it's daemonized", or as I prefer
"demonized" ;-)) and using all the CPU it could get (97%-99% of a 6 core
AMD in my desktop) while no Firefox windows were open. Figuring it might
be saving stuff I checked back many minutes later on many days and
cycles and it was always there. Moreover, when normally using Firefox
I'd seen 103%, 104% CPU usage etc.

I commented out the entries that start it in Xclients and made a patch.
If I see no ill effects I'll leave it in place, otherwise back to
digging as to why it's there.

I'll tell ya, those folks keep going the way they are and every Windows
box on the planet will be able to run circles around many of these Linux
distros.

Bill