[CentOS] C-6, Gnome question

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sun Jan 11 22:42:22 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 05:12:48PM -0500, Bill Maltby (C4B) wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-01-09 at 19:42 -0500, Fred Smith wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 07:07:38PM -0500, Bill Maltby (C4B) wrote:
> > <snip>
>

> > > Well, that's the limit of my offerings. I'm still trying to find the
> > > thing I used back in C5(?) that raised the panels when the mouse hovered
> > > over it for X seconds. With C6 I can't find it anymore and it switches
> > > way too fast.
> >
> > in C6  it's in SYSTEM | PREFERENCES | WINDOWS
> > there's a slider titled "interval before raising".
> LoL! I just found it while trying to find out where another distasteful
> C6.6 update effect was started.
> >

> > > <snip>
>
> In a nutshell, after I would terminate Firefox as part of my normal log
> off process, there would be another instance of Firefox left hanging
> around with a ppid of 1 (so it's daemonized", or as I prefer
> "demonized" ;-)) and using all the CPU it could get (97%-99% of a 6 core
> AMD in my desktop) while no Firefox windows were open. Figuring it might
> be saving stuff I checked back many minutes later on many days and
> cycles and it was always there. Moreover, when normally using Firefox
> I'd seen 103%, 104% CPU usage etc.

I commonly also find a "stray" firefox running after stopping firefox,
and it isn't using a window either. it's a nuisance because, when there's
a firefox update and it wants to restart the browser, it can't because
there's that darn "stray" one hanging around.

like you, I have no idea where it comes from or why it's there, nor what
it's doing, either.

> I commented out the entries that start it in Xclients and made a patch.
> If I see no ill effects I'll leave it in place, otherwise back to
> digging as to why it's there.

please let me know how it goes, I may want to investigate doing the same.

> I'll tell ya, those folks keep going the way they are and every Windows
> box on the planet will be able to run circles around many of these Linux
> distros.
>
> Bill

Thanks!

Fred