[CentOS] C-6, Gnome question

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Mon Jan 12 01:49:02 UTC 2015

On 01/11/2015 04:19 PM, Bill Maltby (C4B) wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-01-09 at 21:02 -0600, Robert Nichols wrote:
>> I presume you're talking about panels with "Autohide" set. If you have
>> the GUI gconf-editor installed, it's under apps/panel/global/panel_show_delay.
>> You can also set it from the command line:
>>
>>       gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/panel/global/panel_show_delay 500
>>
>> (The default is 300, unit is milliseconds).
>
> Thanks! My terminalogy was likely not correct. I was refering to the ...
> "windows" for applications, which I've been calling "panels" (because
> they are within my virtual windows).

Oh. I've always kept auto-raise turned off. I frequently have multiple
overlapping windows open, and sometimes raising the one I'm typing into
would hide something I need to see. (Yes, the part I'm typing into is
visible.)

> The ... task bar(?) works just fine with autohide. As Fred correctly
> divined, it was in one of the drop-downs under preferences. But I'll bet
> you know the CL for that too. Since I'm an old CLI guy that prefers that
> method, I'll be hunting starting from your hint.

In Gnome they're called "panels." Right-click in one and you'll see, "Add
to Panel," "Delete This Panel," etc. No, I don't know the CLI path for
the window auto-raise delay. Heck, I only found the one I posted by
searching for it in the gconf-editor GUI. I don't use that stuff anywhere
near often enough to remember it, just that it's in there, somewhere.

                 Do NOT delete it.