[CentOS] Design changes are done in Fedora

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Mon Jan 12 16:17:00 UTC 2015

On Mon, January 12, 2015 8:20 am, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 08:38:03PM -0600, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>> You see, systemd _IS_ in the mainstrem Linux
>> kernel which you imminently have to use. Having distro with kernel to
>> that
>> level not mainstream, so systemd related stuff is stripped off it is
>> quite
>> a task. Less that writing one's own kernel and building system based on
>> it, still...
>
> "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it
> means."  -- Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
>
> 'systemd' isn't part of the Linux kernel.  The init system 'systemd'
> requires a Linux kernel (and won't work on the BSD or Solaris kernel,
> for example). Unless you're using 'kernel' as in the core part of the
> distro OS, which would include both the Linux kernel and init
> system... which would be either misleading or confusing.  I'm hoping
> you understand the difference.

This is what I was referring to:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/it-seems-that-in-future-linux-kernel-itself-will-force-the-use-of-systemd-4175483653/

And after careful digesting it pretty much boils down to what I said. But
again, I personally only care about it to the level I care about part of
my boxes that stay Linux systemd no systemd no mater. I'm just trying to
help others to realize that there is no way to build systemd free Linux
distribution (that will have any future). You can hate anyone who doesn't
like systemd, but you can not disagree with them when they say there will
be no Linux without systemd in any observable future. To me it is merely
constatation of fact ;-)

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator