[CentOS] favorite cheap VPS services

Nataraj incoming-centos at rjl.com
Fri Jan 16 05:52:21 UTC 2015

On 01/15/2015 06:24 PM, Tim Dunphy wrote:
> Hey all,
>
>  I'm trying to learn how to use some of the big data stores. Specifically I
> want to learn how to use CassandraDB and Hadoop. Originally I'd had the
> idea of trying to setup a cassandra ring on the Amazon AWS free tier.
> However it seems that neither will run on a t2.micro instance.
>
> So I was wondering.. what are some really cheap VPS services that you like
> to use for one off projects like this and why. I'm looking for dirt cheap
> as possible.
>
> I'd love to hear any opinions on this !!
>
> Thanks
> Tim

I've seen linux vps's out there for $3-$5/month, but generally they have
pretty bad reviews.  I'd probably go for something like linode's
$10/month vps which works and the company is reasonable to deal with.
Linode does charge you for the VPS if it exists, even if it's not
running, though you won't pay much if you use the vps for a few hours
and then delete it.

There are some cloud providers who have higher rates than linode, but
charge you only a small fee for storage if you shut the vps down when
your not using.  One example who I have no experience with is:
http://www.phoenixnap.com/secured-cloud/about-our-cloud/pricing.php

Here's a $3.99/month cheapie, but I have no experience with it:
http://lowendbox.com/blog/serverhub-4-99-1536mb-openvz-vps-2-ipv4-addresses-in-phoenix-az/

Nataraj