[CentOS] shutdown -h doesn't

Kay Diederichs kay.diederichs at uni-konstanz.de
Fri Jan 16 08:51:15 UTC 2015

On 01/16/2015 05:05 AM, Devin Reade wrote:
> I've got a fresh CentOS 7 test machine, fully patched.  The command:
>
>      shutdown -h now
>
> surprisingly does not halt the machine.  Instead it reboots it.  WTF?
>
> I found the following Debian discussion which seems to be the same
> issue: <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=766338>
>
> However, removing kexec-tools in this case did not solve the problem.
> Nor does "systemctl poweroff" work.
>
> Does anyone else see this?   No, nothing is filed in bugzilla yet.
>
> Devin

same here, using a "ASUS All Series/H97M-PLUS, BIOS 2305 10/09/2014" (as
per dmesg|grep ASUS).

The workaround is a line

for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/control ; do echo on > $i ; done

in /etc/rc.local . Unfortunately this prevents powersaving of all USB
ports/hubs.

What didn't work: I created /usr/lib/systemd/system/stopusb.service with

[Unit]
Description=Power-on USB in prep for shutdown

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/bin/sh -c "for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/control ; do
echo on > \$i ; done"
ExecStop=/bin/sh -c "for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/control ; do
echo on > \$i ; done"
RemainAfterExit=yes

[Install]
WantedBy=poweroff.target

but this seems to have no effect. Maybe the "poweroff" target does not
really exist. I think someone more experienced with systemd could fix this.

HTH,

Kay