[CentOS] Kickstarting several *different* setups

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 16:51:27 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 10:41 AM, Tom Grace
<lists-in at deathbycomputers.co.uk> wrote:
> On 20/01/2015 16:29, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
>>
>> So my question is, is there some way do determine via kickstart, what to
>> install on that machine based on some criteria, possibly the IP that's
>> being assigned to it, or MAC address, or something ...
>
> If you just want to use kickstart, it would be pretty simple to serve these
> via HTTP, and have a simple script in PHP or similar that takes the
> requesting IP and uses it to choose which version of the kickstart to serve.
>
> I would suggest that the "right way" would be to kickstart all your machines
> the same way, and then use a configuration management tool (like Puppet or
> Chef) to customize them. This approach is likely to be more work, but also
> more maintainable in the long run.

Or, if you just want the packages that a custom kickstart would
install, use a basic kickstart to bring it up, then run your own
script (from an nfs mount, scp'd over, pasted into a command line or
whatever you might find easier than learning puppet).  The script just
needs to determine the rest of the packages needed for this particular
server and 'yum install ....' them.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com