[CentOS] ** Newbie - HELP **

Andrew Holway andrew.holway at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 11:32:22 UTC 2015

On 23 January 2015 at 12:06, Darren Williams <D.Williams2 at bradford.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Using VM's was a suggestion I put forward but some of our staff didn't
> like the idea!

*sigh* technology politics is annoying. good luck with that.

> We can't virtualise Windows as we run many CAD and Media  app's that
> require high end graphics card utilisation.

Yes you can with PCI passthrough.

In fact, if your processors, motherboards and graphics cards support VT-d
then your graphics card can be shared across upto 12 virtual machines.
Standard PCI passthrough has been supported for quite a while in the KVM
stack.

I know a lot of design people that use virtualised design environments on
chunky servers sat in racks. Its quite easy to set up for a basic
implementation.