[CentOS] Orwell's 1984 from Freedesktop,org?

Bill Maltby (C4B) centos4bill at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 13:43:12 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-01-23 at 07:45 -0500, David Both wrote:
> <rant>
> <snip>

> I disable and remove PackageKit to prevent that kind of stuff.

My current plan too once I determine it won't break my boxes.

> <snip>

> For those historically ignorant developers, I say that they had *BETTER* care
> how it has always been done! It is that history, that philosophical difference
> from other operating systems that has made Linux as popular as it is today.
> Change is good, but the philosophy of Linux is important to ensure that the
> power, flexibility, security, reliability, and quality of Linux do not suffer.

+1
I started working on UNIX in 1978 after a long time on "big iron"
systems and my early words were "This is the way we should've been doing
it all along". Pretty soon I introduced the first real UNIX on PCs into
our development group (circa, strangely enough, 1984) that tied into Dec
equipment emulating 3270(?) to the mainframe where, at the time, our
source, development processes and user base (distributed across the
nation) resided. We gained a lot by doing initial development, compiling
and testing on the PCs and then final test and installation only, along
with distribution, on the mainframes.

> See my article: https://opensource.com/business/14/12/linux-philosophy and I
> have another article as follow-up that should appear there soon.
Keep up the battle!

> </rant>
> <snip>

Bill