[CentOS] Orwell's 1984 from Freedesktop,org?

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Jan 23 14:10:02 UTC 2015

On Fri, January 23, 2015 06:50, Bill Maltby (C4B) wrote:

> I don't want this stupid thing popping up every time I switch from my
> normal active user logons to my "dead" one (used to get around the
> unaddressed bug I filed over a month ago about switching run levels
> causing crashes and running multiple users as I'd been doing for ...
> over a decade(?) on CentOS).
>
> Even windows doesn't make me repeatedly click cancel if I'm not ready
> update (I have one Windows box for one application I do and my wife
> has
> a couple) - it raise a little ... "flag" saying updates are available
> (I
> have "check with me" set rather than allowing auto updates).
>
> Yesterday on this 6.6 box I had to click cancel many times - most on
> one
> switch of users as apparently they queue up.
>
> AFAIK, tools are provided (sudo, "su -", ...) for non-root users to
> invoke and accomplish these functions on *their* schedule, rather than
> that set by some anonymous "one who knows better".

I have not encountered this behaviour in any CentOS-5 or 6
installation.  All I ever get is a starburst icon in my top panel when
there are unapplied updates.  Are you telling us that when you switch
users (how exactly are you doing that?) that this PackageKit dialogue
window displays without any further action on your part?

Canada  L8E 3C3