[CentOS] Very slow disk I/O

David Both dboth at millennium-technology.com
Wed Jan 28 13:38:07 UTC 2015

+1

And remember that I/O is more than just disk. The atop monitor gives you
information like top and htop, but also provides a lot of I/O information as
well including network. Perhaps your server is the target of a network-based
DDOS attack which can cause lots of I/O wait time. Also look at top to see what
numbers are in the si and hi columns. THese stand for software and hardware
interrupts. If one of those is high you can also narrow it down.

Hope this helps.