[CentOS] C6 server responding extremely slow on ssh interactive

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 18:40:32 UTC 2015

On 01/30/2015 01:21 AM, Patrick Bervoets wrote:
> iostat random sample

"Random" is difficult to evaluate.  Is that representative?  Are sda,
sdb, and sdc typically less than 1% utilized?  Or are there large
utilization values right after a hang?

> If swap is the problem: would it matter if a command is run with ssh
> (ssh @ "command") or in a shell?

Let's assume it's not, but I would say "no" to the question.  I'd expect
the same delays regardless, if the system were swapping heavily.

> When running atop in a shell I observed pauses between screen updates
> longer than 10 seconds but atop displayed the time as "10 seconds
> later". So drifting away in time.
> While a date command sent a the same time gave the correct date.

That's really weird.

Does the time displayed by "atop" eventually catch up?

Does the problem persist across reboots?

Is this system running ntpd?

Does the problem persist if you turn ntpd off and reboot?