[CentOS] Sun Microsystems Quad gigabit ethernet nic compatibility

Ned Slider

ned at unixmail.co.uk
Fri Jan 2 20:59:02 UTC 2015

On 02/01/15 06:01, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 1/1/2015 9:41 PM, mechy2k2000 wrote:
>> Hello I am thinking of buying this card to and wanted  to know if this
>> NIC
>> is supported. The card is a Sun Microsystems PCI-X Quad-Port Gigabit
>> Ethernet Adapter QGEXPCI 501-6738-10. Can't find any info on how well the
>> card plays with centos and also proxmox ve (if any of you use that
>> distro )
>
> I've not tried that card on anything other than Sun UltraSparc running
> Solaris 9 and 10, but rumor has it Linux has a 'cassini' driver that
> supports the Sun GigaSwift NIC on those.

The cassini.ko driver is present in el5 and el6, but Red Hat dropped
support from RHEL7. If you want to use it on el7 then elrepo.org has
packaged the driver for el7, backported from kernel-3.10.63:

kmod-cassini-1.6-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64.rpm

At present it's in the testing repo so do let us know if you try it and
it works for you.

Regards,