[CentOS] When will CentOS Publish Errata?

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Mon Jan 5 16:37:46 UTC 2015

On 01/04/2015 06:00 PM, Somers-Harris, David | David | OPS wrote:
>> However, luckily, Gmane archives everything just fine.
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.centos.devel/12370/focus=12375
>
> Thanks Steven for bringing this thread to my attention.
> So it looks like there was already a discussion about this in September, and it ended with two action items.
>
> 1. Write code to automatically put the following into updateinfo.xml
>   a. Link to RH web site
>   b. List of packages that are updated
>   c. CESA, CEBA or CEEA number which flags the type of fix as bug, security or enhancement.
>
> 2. Figure out how and where to store previous errata content.
>
> The final comment on the thread "Erata in the Repo" was Kevin Strange saying he would look into #1, and also him asking everybody what the best way to do #2 is.
>
> Does anybody know if Kevin has had any luck with #1? Would it be better if I revived that thread or is it fine to discuss here?

Please note a couple of things ...

1.  Blatant screen scraping is a violation of the terms of service for
RHN .. so where is a SOURCE of information for something like this:

https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2014-2024.html

If you read this:

https://access.redhat.com/help/terms/

then, one can not just grab all the info on that errata page and
distribute it .. which is why we LINK to it and not distribute it currently.

So, the first issue is that one must find a source for the information
that would go into the 'updateinfo.xml' file that is always maintained
and is available to read and to redistribute.

2.  If someone comes up with a place to get said data, THEN we could
properly publish that data in some way.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes