[CentOS] Design changes are done in Fedora

Rob Kampen

rkampen at reaching-clients.com
Thu Jan 8 04:46:46 UTC 2015

On 01/07/2015 01:06 PM, Always Learning wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-01-06 at 16:07 -0700, Warren Young wrote:
>

>>      "There is nothing new to be discovered in physics now. All that
>>       remains is more and more precise measurement.”
>>
>>           — William Thomson, Lord Kelvin, 1900
> Now means the current time. Now is not, and never will be, The (unknown)
> Future.
>
> In the real world of using computers productively for repetitive tasks,
> people want stability and perhaps faster running programmes. No one ever
> wants a major upset of being forced to use a different method to perform
> the same tasks.
>
> Young men are enthusiastic about implementing new ideas. Old men with
> substantially more experience wisely want to avoid disrupting
> well-running systems. Time is money. Disruptions waste money and cause
> errors.
New disruption causing ideas are also the food for innovation and
progress. Bring them on, we need them.
I think RH / CentOS strike a reasonable / measured balance, more or less
freeze a set of function / capability for each major release - only
release security patches and changes that are necessary to maintain
functioning across the www.
Then with each major release do a jump - yes this is disruptive - yes it
means learning new ways of doing old things, hopefully those making
these decisions in RH have the knowledge and perspective to make the
calls / evaluations necessary.
If you think you can do better, go get a job at RH.