[CentOS] logrotate script not working

Alexander Dalloz

ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Jan 8 07:02:10 UTC 2015

Am 08.01.2015 um 03:54 schrieb Tim Dunphy:
> Hey guys,
>
>   Got a quick question and I hope this is an easy one!
>
>   In my /etc/logrotate.conf file I have the following entry:
>
>   # rotate all of the apache logs  -- we'll rotate them here
> /var/log/mysqld.log  {
>      weekly
>      size  50M
>      create 0644 mysql mysql
>      rotate 1
> }
>
> And from that I would expect the log to rotate when it reaches 50M in size.
> However I just caught that log weighing in at 356MB!!  So how can I get
> this log file to rotate when it hits 50MB?

That's because the MySQL daemon has his hands on the log's file
descriptor and still write the log while it has been moved by logrotate.

You will have to add a command to the logrotate definition which causes
the MySQL daemon to write into a new log file (mysqladmin flush-logs).

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/log-file-maintenance.html

> Any ideas, advice and help at all would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Tim

Alexander