[CentOS] Design changes are done in Fedora

Warren Young

wyml at etr-usa.com
Thu Jan 8 15:46:42 UTC 2015

On Jan 6, 2015, at 7:40 PM, Always Learning <centos at u62.u22.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2015-01-06 at 20:19 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> Is there any centralized approach to converting something
>> that worked on CentOS6 to run on CentOS7?
>
> Brilliant task to assign to Warren Young.

You’re awfully free with the disposition of my time.  Why is it that you feel you have a claim on it?

In any case, I thought it was you and Les who were annoyed about the current state of things, not me.  It’s your itch.  Why are you demanding that someone else scratch it for you, for free?

> That will keep him away from
> his disruptive "improvements" philosophy.

I only have one package in the CentOS package repo, MySQL++.  Here is its documentation detailing the incompatible changes made over the decade I’ve been maintaining it:

  http://tangentsoft.net/mysql++/doc/html/userman/breakages.html

Some questions:

0. Which one of these “disruptive improvements" broke something for you?

1. You wanted documentation detailing changes made and ways to move forward.  Since this is the only piece of CentOS that I control — and that only loosely, since the RPMs are maintained by someone else — what more did you want from this document?

2. Are you aware of a MySQL++ breakage that isn’t documented here?

3. How many of those breakages do you view as capricious?

4. How many of the changes were done in a backward-incompatible way, not counting those done at major version transitions?

Yes, I’m aware that the answer to #4 is not “zero,” to my chagrin.  Some of those regressions were reverted shortly after the breakage was noticed by someone, while others were allowed to slide, as they didn’t seem to affect any existing code, based on mailing list traffic.

We now run an ABI compatibility checker as part of the release process, to prevent this from happening again.

Does any of this match up with your preconception of me as a developer?  I’m pretty sure you slagged off on me without knowing about any of this.