[CentOS] Design changes are done in Fedora

Les Mikesell

lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 16:44:42 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 9:48 AM, James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca> wrote:

> A perusal of the contents of both the Fedora devel list and users list
> does not give one much hope that such a point of view would be
> tolerated, much less welcomed.

Exactly. They don't care about breakage, only change.   In the early
days I tried to follow Fedora development and no one paid any
attention to complaints about breaking interfaces that other things
rely on. I eventually just gave up when they pushed a kernel update
mid-rev that wouldn't boot on my (mainstream IBM) test box and
subsequent updates were the same.  I don't really expect them to care
- the people who have something invested in existing components and
interfaces have been split out of that community.   I just see it as a
big mistake to let them control the future of the distribution to
people that need stability and ongoing interface compatibility.

> One might, however, consider that the CentOS list is a concentration
> of people that evidently have some status within a number of
> Enterprises.

I used to try to encourage using more linux vs.Windows here and
deployed Centos for infrastructure myself wherever possible because it
used to be easier to manage and more stable.   But now that I'm
approaching retirement and realizing that the current management
processes aren't going to continue to work, I think that may have been
a mistake.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com