[CentOS] Design changes are done in Fedora

Valeri Galtsev

galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 8 17:11:10 UTC 2015

On Thu, January 8, 2015 10:52 am, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 10:35 AM, Warren Young <wyml at etr-usa.com> wrote:
>>>
>> Would the world really be a better place if CDE had never been replaced?
>>  Me, I’ll take GNOME 3 and all its warts over CDE any day of the week.
>>  CDE never would have *evolved* to be the equal of GNOME; it had to be
>> destroyed to make room.
>
> But it doesn't matter how pretty Gnome3 is on some other box.  I use
> remote connections through NX/freenx or x2go exclusively.  Gnome3
> won't work that way.  And that's typical of the changes.

Let me second you.
I for one have fled from Gnome (on my FreeBSD workstation, - once the
upgrade made me switch from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3). I need the job done, and
want my GUI User Interface be what was perfectly suitable for long time. I
do not care of its looks or fanciness of "ultimately different" user
experience. Therefore I fled from Gnome to mate. (The decision was made
after 2 weeks of frustration of doing in Gnome 3 the work I usually was
doing on my workstation)

This is just my $0.02 (and note, this is from me, the one who is "not
ready to join ipad generation").

Just on a side note: I question intelligence of an attitude that something
(that works for some people) has to be destroyed to make room for
something else one thinks to be more appropriate.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago