[CentOS] Design changes are done in Fedora

Valeri Galtsev

galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 8 17:35:25 UTC 2015

On Thu, January 8, 2015 11:32 am, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On Thu, January 8, 2015 10:44 am, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 9:48 AM, James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>
wrote:

>>> A perusal of the contents of both the Fedora devel list and users list
does not give one much hope that such a point of view would be
tolerated, much less welcomed.

>> Exactly. They don't care about breakage, only change.   In the early
days I tried to follow Fedora development and no one paid any
>> attention to complaints about breaking interfaces that other things
rely on. I eventually just gave up when they pushed a kernel update
mid-rev that wouldn't boot on my (mainstream IBM) test box and
>> subsequent updates were the same.  I don't really expect them to care -
the people who have something invested in existing components and
interfaces have been split out of that community.   I just see it as a
big mistake to let them control the future of the distribution to
people that need stability and ongoing interface compatibility.

>>> One might, however, consider that the CentOS list is a concentration
of people that evidently have some status within a number of
>>> Enterprises.
>>
>> I used to try to encourage using more linux vs.Windows here and
deployed Centos for infrastructure myself wherever possible because it
used to be easier to manage and more stable.   But now that I'm
approaching retirement and realizing that the current management
processes aren't going to continue to work, I think that may have been
a mistake.

> I read it and there are very familiar feelings. Some 7 or so years ago I
found myself at a meeting (that was open solaris meeting) with a bunch
of people who started looking for alternatives to migrate their boxes to
from Linux. (I may be off on time; it was right after Oracle acquired
Sun Microsystems, so there was already this joke out there: how do you
call that system? If you repeat Sun-Oracle very fast you likely will get
it right: "snorkel" ;-) One of the pushing points was: already then on
average every 30-45 days was either glibc or kernel update, meaning you
have to reboot the box (and on multiple threads here there was a bunch
of other unpleasant things mentioned so I'll skip them...). Linux from
Unix-like system became more Windows like (sorry if it offends anyone,
but I can't hold myself and not repeat what one of people called Linux
then: "Lindoze").

> So, several of those people fled to open solaris. My journey was
different, I ended up migrating a bunch of most important boxes to
FreeBSD. I know how many on this list are already allergic to me saying
this, I promise, this is the last time. I'm using as excuse something
familiar I feel in James's post...

Stupid me: Sorry, in Les's post I meant to say..

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247