[CentOS] Intel NUC? Any experience

Digimer

lists at alteeve.ca
Thu Jan 8 19:37:32 UTC 2015

On 08/01/15 02:32 PM, david wrote:
> Folks
>
> The price point of Intel's NUC unit makes it attractive to use as a
> server that doesn't have significant computational load.  In my
> environment, a USB connected hard-drive could provide all the storage
> needed.  I wonder if anyone has had experience with it, and can answer:
>
> 1)  Does Centos6 and/or Centos7 install from a USB connected optical
> drive? or a USB flash drive?  I'd prefer to do a NetInstall.
>
> If the answer is essentially no, there's no point in continuing.
>
> 2) Is the Ethernet connection supported by NetInstall and the subsequent
> OS?
>
> 3) Is it possible to add an additional NIC for possible use as a home
> router/gateway?  If not internally, then via a USB connected NIC?
>
> Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.
>
> David
> San Francisco

I installed CentOS 7 on a pair of NUCs using a PXE server, but I see no
reason why a USB DVD wouldn't be a problem. The onboard wired connection
works flawlessly, the wireless is an optional card so it depends what
you buy. The Intel wifi card I got worked without hassle.

USB NICs will be fine, I've used the Apple USB2->100Mbps adapters for
RHEL 6 and they "just work". I've used the Siig USB3->gbit adapters and
they "just work" in Fedora, but needed the drivers installed for EL6
(didn't try EL7, I expect they'd just work there).

I would get the model NUC with 2.5" drive and go that route, much harder
to accidentally known an internal drive out.

--
Digimer
access to education?