[CentOS] C-6, Gnome question

Fred Smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Jan 9 20:17:55 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 02:34:38PM -0500, Bill Maltby (C4B) wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-01-09 at 09:17 -0500, Fred Smith wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > Using the default Gnome desktop on Centos-6, I keep having difficulty
> > getting the mouse pointer to lineup exactly on the edge/corner of a
> > window when I want to resize the window. It seems that you have to
> > have it on a line exactly one pixel in width, and I'm finding it
> > increasingly hard to do (who, me? getting old? nah!)
>
> I'm also getting old, but I don't have the problem on C-6 at all.
>

> > Wondering if there is a gnome setting somewhere among the myriad
> > settings that could be used to configure the accuracy with which
> > the mouse pointer must be placed so one can grab edges of things.
> > I've dug thru the settings in the Gnome configuration editor, but
> > so far nothing leaps out at me.
> >
> > Can anyone offer advice?
>
> Have you gone into System->Preferences->Mouse and changed some of the
> doohickeys there? I don't recall anything related to your problem, but
> it may be related to Acceleration or Sensitivity? I've set my
> Sensitivity to about 1/3rd off of low and acceleration to mid-range.
> There's an alternative if, like me, you prefer KB anyway - <Alt>-<F8>.
> It's drawback is it's not as fine-grained though. But for me it's really
> faster anyway.

Bill:

Thanks for the reply.

I've got acceleration all the way to the slow end, sensitivity all the way
to the low end, drag and drop threshold all the way to the small end,
and I've tried them all at other settings, too, to no avail.

trying to grab the edge of a window feels like the grabbable region
is only one pixel (or maybe one "mickey") wide and it's still hard nto
place the pointer right on it. I may be getting old, but I don't
have any palsy/tremor problems.