[CentOS] Design changes are done in Fedora

Valeri Galtsev

galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Sun Jan 11 18:05:43 UTC 2015

On Sun, January 11, 2015 11:22 am, Sven Kieske wrote:

> On 11.01.2015 03:42, James B. Byrne wrote:
>> What does systemd buy the enterprise that sysinit did not provide?
>>
> Well (re)starting services in a reliable way?
> Ensuring that services are up and running?
>
> About which sysinit are you talking btw?
> The init process in RHEL 6 was upstart.
>
> systemd has it's ugly downsides, but it
> _does_ provide much needed features.
>
> if you don't know them or if you ignore them
> or if you think you don't need them:
> fine
>
> but don't think others don't know or need
> them.

That sounds like you have collected and counted "votes" pro and against
systemd. (Mine, BTW is against, and I do not feel it fair to be discounted
as a stupid minority as it is implied in your post). There is no point to
repeat listing of ugly sides of systemd - which you said yourself are
there. As far as "advantages" are concerned: I didn't see any compared to
sysvinit or upstart. I don't care that _laptop_ with systemd starts 3
times faster - it's brilliant when you have to start it right on the
podium few seconds before giving your presentation. However, my life is
more influenced by the servers I maintain. BTW, when "counting votes" keep
in mind an existence of an army of refugees from Linux, they already have
voted against ugliness here, there,...

Just my $0.02

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev