[CentOS] C-6, Gnome question

Bill Maltby (C4B)

centos4bill at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 22:19:24 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-01-09 at 21:02 -0600, Robert Nichols wrote:
> On 01/09/2015 06:07 PM, Bill Maltby (C4B) wrote:
> >  I'm still trying to find the
> > thing I used back in C5(?) that raised the panels when the mouse hovered
> > over it for X seconds. With C6 I can't find it anymore and it switches
> > way too fast.
>
> I presume you're talking about panels with "Autohide" set. If you have
> the GUI gconf-editor installed, it's under apps/panel/global/panel_show_delay.
> You can also set it from the command line:
>
>      gconftool-2 --type int --set /apps/panel/global/panel_show_delay 500
>
> (The default is 300, unit is milliseconds).

Thanks! My terminalogy was likely not correct. I was refering to the ...
"windows" for applications, which I've been calling "panels" (because
they are within my virtual windows).

The ... task bar(?) works just fine with autohide. As Fred correctly
divined, it was in one of the drop-downs under preferences. But I'll bet
you know the CL for that too. Since I'm an old CLI guy that prefers that
method, I'll be hunting starting from your hint.

Thanks for taking the time! It helps a lot.

Bill