[CentOS] Design changes are done in Fedora

Lamar Owen

lowen at pari.edu
Mon Jan 12 15:10:37 UTC 2015

On 01/11/2015 06:22 PM, Always Learning wrote:
> Disruption = BAD Gentle change / gradual change = GOOD
Generalizations are always bad.

Some changes work best as a disruption; some changes work best as a
gradual thing.  It really depends upon the change.

I experienced one of the nicer things about CentOS 7 in the desktop
setting today, as I hotplugged a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter connected
to a projector system into my Dell Precision M6500 laptop and watched it
automatically configure the resolution and extend the desktop to the
projector.  I experienced a similar nicety when I docked the laptop that
has two DisplayPort outputs connected to two Dell 24 inch displays and
automatically got three-head operation (ATI/AMD Firepro 7820 here).  And
when a power glitch took the dock out for 5 seconds, the laptop didn't
go crazy, and everything came back up in a reasonable and elegant
manner, including the network, the two external monitors, the external
HD, and the external trackball.  I had that happen on CentOS 6 once, and
had to reboot to get the external monitor (only one at that time) back up.

Enterprise != server-exclusive.  We have several EL workstations here,
running a mix of EL5 through EL7, in addition to our
almost-exclusively-CentOS server farm running a mix of EL5 through EL7.
The user experience of EL7 has thus far been very positive on the
desktop side, but I'm still gathering data on the server side. Admin on
the server side has been pretty seamless, which relatively minimal
retraining required.  Systemd is just not that much different from
upstart, really; just a couple of different paradigms to deal with and
relatively minor syntax differences.  It is some different from
shell-script-assisted SysV init, but not in a negative way, just a
neutral 'different' for the most part.  It does seem to be more robust
in error conditions (like the admin shut down one of a cluster for
removal from the rack for cleaning or and upgrade or whatnot, and either
plugged the ethernet into the wrong port or didn't plug it in at all;
the EL7 box dealt with that quite elegantly, where an EL5 box had to
have all services restarted.