[CentOS] UC C-6, Gnome question

Jonathan Billings

billings at negate.org
Mon Jan 12 17:21:11 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 10:50:10AM -0500, Bill Maltby (C4B) wrote:

> On Mon, 2015-01-12 at 14:40 +0000, Rushton Martin wrote:
> > <snip>
>
> > Another Firefox "funny" to be aware of occurs if you have a $HOME
> > shared between multiple machines.  Firefox will refuse to start on
> > the second machine whilst the first is running Firefox, it
> > believes that there is already an instance running.  Rebooting the
> > second machine will not help.  The quick-and-dirty way around this
> > is to log in as a different user (and hence different $HOME) on
> > the second machine.
>
> That sort of stuff gets my back up, wondering who the hell is making
> these design changes. Not folks that are aware of how stuff is used in
> the "real world? Not folks who understand the concept of "regression
> testing"? Not folks who look outside their walls and solicit comment
> from their victims? I don't know, but I get obnoxiously resistant (often
> to my own detriment) in such cases and tend to do things like my patch.

I've been using a network filesystem for $HOME for decades, and
Firefox (and Netscape Navigator before it) has always been this way.
Not a design change.  What would be nice is if Firefox used the
/run/user/$UID/ directory for per-instance files instead of a
directory in $HOME.  Y'know, like Gnome 3 does.  :)