[CentOS] Socket behavior change from 6.5 to 6.6

Greg Lindahl

lindahl at pbm.com
Thu Jan 15 19:10:46 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 03:40:08PM -0300, Glenn Eychaner wrote:

> My only theory is that this has something to do with non-ephemeral ports and
> socket reuse, but I'm not sure what.

If you want a quick detection that the link is dead, have the server
occasionally send bytes to the dos box. You will get an immediate
error if the dos box is up and knows that connection is kaput.

Given that the port numbers of the new connection are the same, I'm
kind of surprised that the behavior changed from 6.5 to 6.6, but, I
always use defensive programming (sending those extra bytes).

-- greg