[CentOS] leap second and Centos

Les Mikesell

lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 21:13:36 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 3:00 PM, Rob Kampen
<rkampen at reaching-clients.com> wrote:

> Fascinating - describes what's happening but no mention of how we can rest
> assured that all will be well....
> As I ponder it, I recognise that most of our systems are constantly
> calculating date/time values based upon the epoch - the number of seconds
> since a particular date/time, all these calculations need to be cognisant of
> these leap seconds, so its not just the ntp daemon, although that will be
> most immediately impacted, the effects of this need to be enshrined in code
> algorithms forever (well a very long time).

The overall time calculations weren't really the issue last time
around.  The problem was with sub-second sleeps and the thread
scheduler being confused and spinning when ntp inserted an extra
second in the clock. Any other way of resetting the clock fixed it.
(e.g. date -s "`date`").   It was a kernel bug and is theoretically
fixed now.

But I agree that those open bugs on the tzdata package aren't all that
helpful except to show that someone is thinking about it.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com