[CentOS] Socket behavior change from 6.5 to 6.6

Fred Smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Jan 16 19:13:40 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 11:34:28AM -0700, Warren Young wrote:
> On Jan 16, 2015, at 11:29 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 12:21 PM, Warren Young <wyml at etr-usa.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> A different fix is to exploit the real-time nature of video camera imagery
> >
> > Normally if you care about knowing if the other end of a connection is
> > gone you could enable keepalives on the socket
>
> That’s also an appropriate fix, especially when the protocol inherently has long periods of idle time, like SSH.

It's been some time since I've dealt with that sort of problem, but My
recollection is that even keepalives won't really work, because they
occur only every hour or two.

What is needed is as described earlier: allow multiple connection attempts,
if you're busy listening for traffic and another connection attempt occurs,
especially if it's from the same IP address (but this isn't always the
right way, as some senders use a rotating pool of addresses), then accept
the new one and close the old one.

I suppose this kludge would work too: try sending something on that port,
and if the connection is broken, it'll error. then you could open a new
one.

               Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths;
                     Guide me in your truth and teach me,
                         for you are God my Savior,
                    And my hope is in you all day long.